Welcome Text

Welcome to my blog! Here I will share with you my experience in Kenya, Africa over the summer of 2014.

I hope that by reading about and viewing pictures from my trip, you will be able to live the experience with me in a way.

A few notes I would like you to keep in mind as you read this:
1. I kept a written journal during my trip and have transcribed it for this blog. In order to keep it as close to the original as possible, I have transcribed it character-for-character. As much as this pains me in some situations, this will mean there are some (many) spelling, grammatical, and structural errors. I think that leaving these intact add to the authenticity of the blog, though, and show that sometimes I had so much running through my head that I just had to get it on paper in any way I could. Also, it is somewhat telling about the environment I was in while writing it.
2. I have left out some details intentionally. If you would like to talk about any of my experiences or have any questions for me, please reach out! I love to talk about it :)
3. There are some opinions which I have chosen to share, which I will hope will be respected. I acknowledge that I do not know everything about some topics I breach, but I chose to share my opinions on them anyways because it shows what this experience brought me to contemplate and recognize, which I may not have previously. If you would like to share your opinions or experiences as well, I would love to hear them. Please feel free to leave all the respectful comments you'd like.

I hope you enjoy reading this! Thank you to everyone who helped me to make this amazing adventure a reality. If any of the stories you read about make you want to get involved, please visit the "Contribute to the Cause" tab to donate to projects underway, or contact me to learn about other ways to help.

Sam

July 9th, 2014 Part 2

4:00 PM (Amsterdam) 7:00 AM (Phoenix)

This is a lot of traveling! It's a good thing I've pretty much been writing as things happen, because with so many airports and so little sleep, I'm not likely to remember everything!

Picking up where I left off, though, I met my friend on the flight to Amsterdam shortly after my last entry.  Her name is Elisa and her daughter's name is Regina.  They are from Italy!  They had been traveling to Michigan where they were going to spend the summer in Troy.  When they arrived in the U.S. though, they were interrogated and the immigration officials determined she needed a work visa to enter.  Even though she was there for travel.  She said she had come to the U.S. many times for work with no trouble, but of course the one time she was there for pleasure, she runs into trouble.  Poor thing.  They had flown Italy --> Amsterdam --> Detroit then in the Detroit airport they were questioned, and sent back on a flight- the one we were on. They hadn't been outside in over 26 hours and all their travel plans were cancelled.  She was devastated (hence the crying.)  She was even going to go to Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon.  They weren't supposed to leave until September!  I felt so bad.  I hope they find a way to salvage the trip.  She was saying they may be able to expedite her visa and them come back.  I said we need to do a house swap!


Finally, though, we landed in Amsterdam.  We put our big bags in lockers, got tickets for the subway-like system that runs from the airport into the city, and exchanged some money from dollars to Euros.  Each person converted $60, for a total of $300 to approximately €45 each.  It took us a very long time, but finally we made it out of the airport.


We made it to the Central Station in Amsterdam, then went on a covered boat tour (1 hr.) of the canal system.  It was super cold & drizzled the whole time.




After the boat tour (which was pretty cool! We saw a lot of bridges, got a sense of the architecture of the area, saw how significant bikes are here, saw the Anne Frank house, and learned a lot of random information I hadn't previously known) we went to lunch @ this chic little place called Flame across the street.  I had a yummy sandwich that had salmon & eggs.  By the way- the STOP signals on the street crosswalks here have countdowns.  Learned that by thinking we had 30 seconds to cross a street & that actually being when cars were coming! :0



After lunch we went to a crêpe place across the street for some dessert! I had a vanilla latte & Jamie & I split a Nutella crêpe! It was quite delicious.



At that point there was not much more we could do without either walking or paying for transportation, so we headed back to the airport.

We walked around the airport some, to keep everyone from awake as much as possible.  Now we are sitting in a lounge area, most of the students sleeping, waiting for our flight.  About 4 hours or so until we leave.

Apparently the airport only gives you free wi-fi for two 30-minute segments.  A fact I did not know until I used them both :/ So now I have to figure out how to tell people when the flight leaves!

No comments:

Post a Comment